Crack-prone heads?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crack-prone heads?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 00:18:52 +0000
What are the symptoms of a cracked head?  I just removed and cleaned
mine, but don't know if head cracks are visible to the naked eye or
something I'd have to have magnafluxed or dye-penetrant checked.
Mind you, I have no reason to suspect a crack, I'm just curious.
Also, are some model year heads more prone to cracking?  Mine's a
1965 head, without the air injection ports.  I can't remember the
casting number offhand, but will have it off next week to replace the
cam/lifters.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner