RE: UPS rates

To: john ruse <hologothic@msn.com>
Subject: RE: UPS rates
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi John Ruse!!

On Tue, 27 May 1997, john ruse wrote:

> Yes, but don't forget to add into the equation that large heavy duty
>cardboard
> boxes can cost upto 5.00 BPS each, packaging materials, adhesive tape, bubble

Your prices are accurate ONLY if they're paying RETAIL.  I make my
living in the packaging industry, and EVERYTHING we sell, and EVERYTHING
we buy has a sliding price scale; buy one and pay a bundle, buy a
thousand, and pay a lot less per unit.  In industry, EVERY price is
negotiable; it's NOT like buying retail.

> wrap are all expensive and the packers wage. All additional expenses to the

Ok, the packer gets $10 per hr.  If he/she packs one box every 6
minutes, that's $1 per box.  I've seen these guys working, and they pack
a LOT more than one box every 6 minutes...

> 'over the counter sale'. i think you will find that in practice a lot of mail
> order expenses are absorbed.

Not if they want to stay in business, unless they've got a monopoly on
the product and it's priced sky high to begin with.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen  (who has to do buying when he's the maintenance lead
                     hand)