Re: Polarizing a generator??

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Polarizing a generator??
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:45:53 +0000
Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> Grettings,
>
> After spending a couple of weeks (on and Off) trying to figure out why my
> generator was not charging my battery, I finally figured out that my
> generator was not polarized.
>
> A guy at work told me that my generator might need to be polarized, and
> instructed me on how to do it.  I unhooked my generator terminals and with a
> large screwdriver in hand, holding onto the plastic handle of course, shorted
> out the field terminal against the generator body.  Low and behold, my
> generator is now putting out sufficient voltage.  Is this some kind of Lucas
> voodoo?  Am I supposed to do some kind of ceramonial dance after this is
> done?  I hope the Lucas gods don't come after me!!
>
> Can someone explain how this procedure gets the flow of electricity to do its
> thing??
> And why?
>
> Scott Helms

A generator will only provide sufficient output for charging purposes if its
field
windings are energised, but the field windings are energised from the output of
the
generator.  Polarising a generator causes it to aquire a slight 'permanet'
magnetism that will allow the generator to initially produce a small output,
which
energises the field windings, which causes the generator to produce a bigger
output
and so on until there is sufficient voltage to start charging.

PaulH.