PerTronix Electronic Ignition installation woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: PerTronix Electronic Ignition installation woes
From: Felix Wong <felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
Dear MGers,

This morning I attempted to install a new PerTronix Electronic Ignition
unit to no avail.  It seems simple enough: mount the hall effect sensor in
the place of the contact breaker points using the old condenser screw, and
attach the red and black leads to the positive and negative terminals of
the coil respectively.  But I am getting no spark when I turn the engine
over!

Two questions I have in particular.  (1)  What do I do with the old low
tension lead that went into the plastic grommet in the side of the
distributor that, in turn, was connected to the capacitor?  I wouldn't
need it for anything right?  (I called PerTronix and the guy I talked to
couldn't understand what I was referring to (?!))  (2) When the wires
from the EI unit is installed on the coil, I get a voltage measurement of
12V at BOTH terminals of the coil.  I noticed that with contact breaker
points installed, there's only 12V at the postive terminal.  Is there
something wrong with this picture?

Does anyone have any suggestions before I come to the conclusion that my
unit is defective?

Thanks, -Felix "tired of having to adjust or replace the points/ignition
timing every 2-3000 miles" W.

      __        Felix Wong             Palo Alto, California
      |,\_O    (415)528-9768
   ( )/ LL     http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~felixksw/
        ( )    '69 B, '92 C'dale 3.0 R (stiff, light, and FAST)
   Fw = mg                   "Safety fast!"