Re: PerTronix Electronic Ignition installation woes

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: PerTronix Electronic Ignition installation woes
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:57:06 -0400
Felix Wong wrote:
> It seems simple enough: mount the hall effect sensor in
> the place of the contact breaker points using the old condenser screw, and
> attach the red and black leads to the positive and negative terminals of
> the coil respectively.

  One more step, gap the sensor using the plastic feeler
gauge included in the kit.

  Quick question, is your car negative ground? Pertronix
only works with negative ground.

> Does anyone have any suggestions before I come to the conclusion that my
> unit is defective?

  The wiring diagrams included with my Pertronix were so
clear it was almost insulting. I guess you could super-triple
check that the diagram matches your car, both before and
after.

  As well, the Pertronix is grounded through the engine, which
therefore requires a solid engine ground to work. Might be
worth a check.

  Wish I could help you more, mine installed in a snap and
has worked ever since.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada