Midgets update V

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midgets update V
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:10:37 -0700
Most of this past weekends work has been on the '78.
I reattacked the big (crankshaft) nut again, it turned even easier
this time, so I'm pulling the engine. Since I have the radiator,bonnet,
steering rack, and assorted hoses already off, it will be easy to pull
the engine and replace the clutch. Even if the clutch was ok, at least
I will have the security of a new clutch. I'll clean and paint the engine
compartment too, while I'm at it.
With the '78 I filled the rear end with 85w140 Hypoid oil and the trans
with 95w Hypoid oil. The '72 I filled the rear with 85w140 Hypoid and the
trans with 20w50 engine oil.
Both Midgets were low in the rears, and now that I have topped them up
are leaking at one wheel oil seal. More work for me! The trans of the
'72 is also leaking out of the rear ;o(.
I have decided to rebuild the junkyard trans I got for the '72. While
it is clean and looks good, I think it was at best repaired not rebuilt.
I'll drive the '72's trans to failure first though.
I'm switching the '78's front wheel bearings from ball to tapered roller
bearings (thanks for the tip Vince!). Seems safer, easier, and more
modern.
I've decided to paint the '78 Yellow (powder blue now), with a yellow
and black interior. I'm going to get the seats reupolstered locally,
yellow with black piping, and will mail order black interior pieces.
I think the yellow and black combination will look very smart with a
rubber bumpered car. I have used Dupont Centauri paint previously, but
am thinking of switching to 'House of Kolor' paint. The Dupont was very
good, I'll recomend it for DIY, but the HoK is outstanding. I'm painting
the white top of a two tone '61 Buick soon with HoK pearl, if it looks
as good as it should the Midgets will get HoK too.
The '72 will keep it's BRG paint (over origional orange) and tan
interior.
I'm shooting for both cars to be terrorizing the roadways by August.
I'm selling my '66 Galaxie too, once that sells I'll have a much
needed infusion of parts money.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"