Re: Rod bearings- a maintenance item?

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Rod bearings- a maintenance item?
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:02:13 -0500
Hello Bill:

This kind of work was always considered basic maintenance on LBCs.  I can't
put my hand on it at the moment, but I believe my 1967 Owners Handbook
states that rod bearings are to be replaced at 30,000 mile intervals and
that mains want attention at 50 k.  I could be wrong about the numbers but
the intent is clear.  LBC engines were built with very stout crankshafts.
Crankshaft turning was not necessary as long as bearings were replaced on
time.  Similarly, rings were to be replaced rather often but again without
reboring.

Most LBCs of the period also called for "de-coking" at 10,000 miles and
other very short periods for similar maintenance.  Some of my late '40s
cars called for lubrication at intervals as brief as 250 miles for some
items.  All of this maintenance was considered basic work for the owner.
Remember the old maxim, "Fix of Saturday and cruise on Sunday".