Re: Computers again

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Computers again
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 May 97 12:18:48 -0400
I just had a conversation with the SO and it dawned on me that I had not
made a point in the earlier post. All of us who work on MG's have the
tools to work on MG's. Most of us do not have the tools towork on the
newer cars that require a computer. Usually a specialized computer with
some specialized software.  I work in the biz and know that if the
connection, and software, was available, I could diagnose the problems
with my 96 Neon (none yet) and I have the skills to fix them. Where did I
get those skills? A lot of earlier mechanical training and a lot of years
making sure my MG ran. I do not have, and cannot afford, the tools to
work on the computer generated cars. If I still worked as a mechanic and
had the need I would find a way. Livelihood. But I still have the tools
to work on the LBC. Wrench, Screwdriver, etc. Apparently we all have
computers so who is writing the software to do the diagnosis on the
LBC's? There should be a way to use a rs232 port to find the signal from
the coil and set the dwell w/o touching the points.

Sorry got carried away.

Current update:
 The 78 Midget is in the shop for an inspection. Passed all saftey
inspections (hoped for) but needs work to pass Emmissions (DUH). Local
shop needs to order parts (know where that is) When I took it up to the
shop I couldn't believe the cars in the shop that I hadn't seen on the
road. Where were all these people 5/12-18 ?? a TR3, RRSilverGhost, Lotus
??,MGBGT, etc. unfortunately mine needs work on the appearance. Should be
ready by Wed (still hope to pass emissions or classic plate). Goin'
Camping next weekend IN THE MG.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Trevor Boicey

>Guys, can we contain the modern car bashing?
>
>  It's just a fact that people who bash computers in modern
>cars don't understand them. If you spend a bit of time
>learning how they work, they can be wonderful. Just like you
>once had to spend time learning how points and vacuum
>systems worked, why do you self impose a limit on
>how much you want to learn in life?
>
>  When your LBC breaks down, sure, you can find the
>problem, but you know where to look. Modern systems
>are no different, give the average person an LBC
>with the fuel pump points sticking together and they
>will cuss and complain the same as if they have
>a modern car fail because of an ECU fault (WHICH
>IS *VERY* RARE).
>
>  Computers will even tell you what's wrong. If my
>LBC stutters on power, is it carbs? Fuel lines? Ignition?
>Plugs? Where do I plug in my code reader so the car
>can tell me what's wrong? I can solve the problem
>fairly quickly due to experience, but that's no
>credit to the car.
>
>  It's just ridiculous. Somebody will post something
>like "My LBC broke down. Turned out to be the
>diaphragm in the carbeuretor. Fixed it, and everything
>is just peachy now, boy I love these cars!".
>
>  ...then somebody else will post "My Volvo broke
>down, turned out to be a &^*& fuel injector clogged,
>how can anyone live with this *&&(*) crap. In my
>day we had horses and all you needed was hay and you
>were never stranded... they are ramming this
>computer crap down our throats...".
>
>  It's a double standard, and it's embarrassing.
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey
>Ottawa, Canada
>tboicey@brit.ca
>http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
And if it weren't for computers, where would this list be? Imagine trying
to maintain this list with everybody mailing a letter once a day to Mark,
who would then mail some 1000's of letters a day to everyone on the list.
(let alone the postage). Would Paul and the others from "bloody England"
be willing to share w/ WR from Mass, or Aron from FL or Trevor from
Canada? I belong to another list that has major contribs from Australia.
The Run to the Sun, Carol took a Laptop to keep us up to date. Shall I go
on? I think not. The point is lets not beride something that does us a
favor at one point and then praise it at another. I have to agree that
the work we can do on a car is somewhat lessened by the advancement of
computers, but is advanced by the ability of us all to share what
knowledge and experience we do have.

Rant mode off

Larry Macy
Desktop Sysadmin