FW: Help! Midget SEVERELY overheating.

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Help! Midget SEVERELY overheating.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:46:35 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:  Admin request: /^subject:\s*help\b/i]

     Date: 22 May 1997 21:46:20 -0500
     From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
     Subject: Help! Midget SEVERELY overheating.

Tonight my Midget ('70; 1275) got up to about 280 degF.  My best guess
is that either the radiator is clogged or water pump is bad.  How can
I tell?  The thermostat is brand new, and I can feel heat past the
thermostat in the system, so I don't suspect that.  The hose from
thermostat housing to radiator is hot.  The left-hand radiator tank
(driver's view) is engine-temp to the touch.  The right-hand tank is
air-temp to the touch (colder than body temp!).  This leads me to
believe that the radiator could be clogged.  If the H2O pump was bad,
I guess some coolant would move anyway due to convection, right?

Suggestions?

--
Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com> | Bloomington, IN, USA | '60 Mini
<URL:http://pobox.com/~mliggett/> |    '89 SAAB 900t SPG | '70 MG Midget