FI systems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: FI systems
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:19:21 +0000
>   Anyone with an evening of free time can learn every
> component of an EFI system and how to test them. The only
> part you can't learn about in an evening is the computer
> itself, and failures here are EXTREMELY rare and easy
> to diagnose by ruling everything else out.

Trevor,
        I agree with you on this one.  My VW Jetta had FI, even though it
was the Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection, and not a truly
computer-controlled EFI.  It had a 1.8L, two-valve engine, just like
the 'B' (although it did have an overhead cam.)  Anyway, it started
and ran like a champ (like the 'B'), put out 102 bhp (pretty much
like the 'B'), but got 39 mpg on surface streets (UNLIKE the 'B').
Also, unlike the 'B', it had all of the pollution controls
that 1986 laws required, and scoffed at smog tests.  Granted, it's
not as intuitive as a carburetor, but it's not like I had to mortgage
my house and sign a blood oath to get the service manual.
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner