Re: FI systems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FI systems
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:15:41 -0600 (MDT)
I've had two late model cars with FI. One would flood
once in awhile when trying to start. When this happened
it would have to be towed to the dealer. They would never
say what they did to get it going again, other than "gas
in the crankcase". The other FI had trouble with the
injectors getting clogged. I stuck to name brand gasoline
but somehow they still got clogged.

I've had many, many more carbureted cars over my
30 year driving career and never had any trouble
with the carburetors themselves. Get a little dirt or
water in an old fashioned carburetor and it will run
rough for a while, but will usually pass through
without any damage. Do that to an injector and it's
ruined.

Now I'm not saying FI isn't more efficient or cleaner
(emission wise) than a carburetor, but my personal
experience is that FI is less reliable. Just my 2 cents
worth.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting