RE: Help Wanted, Inquire Within

To: doug russell <dr-doug@msn.com>
Subject: RE: Help Wanted, Inquire Within
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 00:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Doug Russell!!

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, doug russell wrote:

> is important to a correct diagnosis.  Further, I'm using a fair amount of
> starter fluid to get it going and when I get backfiring in the carbs a lot of

You're either REALLY lean, or you're spark is mis-timed.

#1 plug wire should be lined up on a line between the centre ht lead,
and #1 plug.  The rotor should be pointing towards #1 plug on the
COMPRESSION stroke (air pushing your finger out of the plug hole.

> I did have a problem with the 25D distributor which managed to become loose
> over the winter.  It worked its way out of the pinch collar so that the rotor
> cam would move freely (I did turn the engine over a few times before I saw
> that the rotor cam was not turning).  I put it back in and tightened the
>pinch
> collar (after the static timing fix) which is a pretty straight forward fix

The only thing holding the distributor drive gear in position is the
distributor.  The helical gear may have ridden up and jumped a tooth or
two.  You'll have to check the timing of the gear before doing anything
else.

> Over the winter (while in the garage) the car became harder and harder to
> start and once running ran rough but I figured the dizzy fix and the new bits

You may have a lean carb condition.  A rich mixture is a lot more
rythmical "thrumming" sound.

Hmmm, tough to diagnose from a distance.  We use our ears as much as we
use our eyes...

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen  (PULL the PLUGS WHILE SETTING the TIMING; it's a lot
                     easier to turn the engine just a little bit!!)