Re: MGB floors

To: MLishego@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB floors
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:08:38 -0500
MLishego@aol.com wrote:

> Hello to all,
> I noticed that the driver's side floor of my '74 B gets awful hot after
> idling for a few minutes.  There's no carpet in her yet, and the heat is
> sufficient enough to melt my shoes!  Would it be advisiable to fit a plywood
> floor over the original steel?  Of course, I would just fit the wood over the
> steel, not instead of it.  I guessed that I would have some more insulation
> from heat and road noise.  Any MGA, T-series owners have any advice on this
> subject?
> ~Mike

Mike -
        Does your '74 B have a catalytic converter?  If so, does it still have
a heat shield mounted under the floor pan?  Not sure what year the
shield became a part of the construction, but my '79B has one and it
helps a lot in keeping the floor cool.  It would be about 2-1/2 feet
long and 18 inches wide.  Made of a fiberglass type of material, painted
with heat resistant silver paint for reflection.  It starts at the
junction of the engine compartment and tunnel and extends back for a
couple of feet.  It rivets on in about 6 places, and is formed at the
rivet points to keep the rest of the unit spaced out from the underside
by about a fourth of an inch to allow some air space between the shield
and the car.  Don't see one in the Moss catalog, but you might be able
to find one at a wrecking yard and attach it yourself.

--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              1979 MGB
Plano, TX               http://web2.airmail.net/wkube