Re: What is the sound of a dying Coolant Pump?

To: "Phil Vanner" <pvanner@pclink.com>
Subject: Re: What is the sound of a dying Coolant Pump?
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 16:37:15 -0700
At 04:05 PM 6/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>After having sorted out a few other problems/noises I now have a low-volume
>metallic grinding coming from the Fan/water pump area. It is not constant
>but does not sound at all healthy.  Am I correct in assuming that my water
>pump is on the way out? Any advice on replacement beyond  the usual Haynes
>or Autobook instructions are welcome.
>
>Phil
>'61 Midget ('67 1275cc engine)
>
>"My Little British Dog is more maintenance than my Little British Car"

I had this happen to me a little while ago. It was very easy to replace.
Just drained and pulled the radiator. Slackened the belt, unbolted the old
unit, cleaned the engine mating surface and mounted the new pump. I believe
the pump was under $30. I put everything back together and drove off. The
noise went away. This took me all of about 2 hours on a Saturday morning.

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw