Re: stripped threads...

To: adrian@utk.edu
Subject: Re: stripped threads...
From: as@boris.umds.ac.uk (A.D.Smith)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:36:10 +0100
   >>>From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
   >>>Subject: stripped threads...

   >>>I am trying to re-hang the leaf springs on the passenger side of my '75
   >>>Midget.  Instead of using nuts, they decided to thread the body,
   >>>conveniently up inside a structure piece, so you can see it through a
   >>>little hole but not really get to it.  And one of them is stripped (on
   >>>the end by the gas tank, under the trunk).

Mine was exactly the same when I did it about a year back.  What we did was
to enlarge that little hole that you can look through, and then drop a bolt
down through the stripped captive nut.  Pop a nut on the underside, and hold
the bolt head with a socket wrench.

Seemed to work fine for me, but I was surprised (to say the least) that this
design "feature" seems to be guaranteed to leave you stuck at some point....

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.            | a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Computational Imaging Science.    | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/a.d.smith/
9th Floor, Capital House          | tel. : 0171 940 9103
42 Weston Street, London SE1 3QD. | fax. : 0171 378 7480

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.