Re: TD Speedo Problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, JHoltslag@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD Speedo Problem
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:31:29 +0000
JHoltslag@aol.com wrote:

> MG'ers,
>
>    I rolled my TD restoration out of the garage today for the first time
> and putted around the neighborhood.  It didn't explode or catch on fire
> but I did notice the speedo doesn't work.  It goes up to about 30 and falls
> back to zero only to rise up to 30 and then back to zero..over and over..
> Does this sound like something simple to fix or does it sound like I need
> to send it to be rebuilt?    Joe "God a TD doesn't shift like a M**ta*!
> Holtslag

My B's speedo was fluctuating about 5 to 10 mph, then I noticed it get much
worse while
the odometer was changing from 19999 to 20000 and the trip was changing from
200.0.  I remembered someone else saying something about stiff odometer wheels,
so
stripped the speedo.  Wheels seemed fine, but the main input shaft felt a
little stiff.
 Put a drop of oil on each end of the shaft and it felt looser.  Back in the
car, it's
now as steady as a rock.

PaulH.