Re: MGA Slow Death

To: ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: MGA Slow Death
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:29:03 -0400 (EDT)

<< In <339E17E8.36D0@kih.net>, Mike Razor wrote:
 >My MGA dies a slow death.  I gave up trying to figure it out and took it
 >to our local MG garage.  He replaced plugs, plug wires, points,
 >condenser (sic),rotor button, dist cap and yet it still dies a slow
 >death.  He thinks that the carbs are worn out.  I had them rebuilt about
 >5 years ago.  It runs just great on the open road but get in to traffic
 >and push in the clutch and it dies.

<<<< Before messing with the carbs, try replacing the coil.  It's fairly
 cheap.  They can start out OK and then die when the engine heats up.
 Been there, done that.>>>>>>

Wouldn't a bad coil cause a quick death?  Like someone threw a switch and
turned the engine off?  Or does the voltage drop to a point that the car
starts to lose performance?

I'm going to check my plugs for black carbon, and I may have to break out the
colortune and try my luck with it again.  The exhaust doesn't smell rich but
I'll check it anyway.

Scott