Re: OD's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OD's
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:42:01 -0500 (CDT)
You wrote:

>Baker, G. wrote:
>>
>> Could someone give me a somewhat condensed summary of which OD unit
goes with
>> which years MGB's.
>>                                                    Thanks for the
response.
>>                                                       Gregg Baker

>Early (3-Synchro) cars had a D type overdrive.  Post 67 cars with
>4-synchro boxes had LH types.  Early LH (through 76, I think) used a
>different speedo for O.D. cars, due to a differnce in speedo gearing.
>77 and on used the same speedo.  Early LH's and late LH's are
>mechanically interchangeable, but a speedometer error will result.  77
>model year cars and on used the same driveshaft for O.D. and non-O.D.
>cars.  Earlier cars had a different shafts.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris Delling

But wait there's more: The pre-68 D's were switch by a toggle on far
left side of dash (LHD models) for 68 to 76 the switch was integral
with the wiper switch and 77 to 80 was switched via shift knob switch.
the 77 - 80 O/Ds were also only made to go into O/D mode in  4th gear,
the prior years were 3rd and 4th O/D capable. I find the O/D 3rd
position useful for those 35 to 45 MPH w/ varying grades situations.
Safety fast, David Deutsch