Re: Midget/Sprite 5 speeds

To: FunE4MG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Midget/Sprite 5 speeds
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:12:57 -0400
FunE4MG@aol.com wrote:
> Can anyone confirm the rumor tha the Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick 5 speed trans is
> a direct bolt in conversion for Sprites/Midgets ?  I've heard that the
> original flywheel/clutch assy. can also be retained. Too good to be true?

Hi Tom,

Yes, it's too good to be true. I just got back from taking the Midget
for a spin. It has finally stopped raining here. First time in 28 days,
believe it or not. I was taking an old ribcase over to Bill Perry's
house. He uses them in his ITD Midget. Bill is the man who manufactures
the 5 speed conversion kits for Minimania.

What makes your post so strange to me is when I got to Bill's house,
guess what was parked in his yard. Right, a Suzuki Samurai. I remembered
your post so I asked him. Unfortunately, the answer was no, they don't
fit. You need to get in touch with Bill to discuss the real cost of the
Datsun 5 speed conversion. I saw one post to the list that quoted $1200
to do the swap. It doesn't cost that much, believe me. I know, I have
one in my 71. Bill can be contacted at 102335.2063@compuserve.com of by
calling him at
(423) 332-2030.

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga, TN)
71 MG Midget
72 Datsun 510 (the race car)

Visit the Southern British Car Club Web Site at
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5848