SU 1.5 Carbs....Rebuild or Replace?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU 1.5 Carbs....Rebuild or Replace?
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:54:48 -0400 (EDT)
The original HS 4 carbs on my 64 B were rebuilt twice in the last 89000
miles. tHe PO had kept some pretty good documentation and it looks like they
were rebuilt at 35K miles (1969) and at 58000 miles in 1978.  I bought the
car in 1993 and have put about 10000 miles on.  The idle is a little rough,
not too bad, noticed one of the dash pots has been fairly well chewed
up...looks like corrosion on the aluminum.  Carbs should probably be rebuilt.
 Anyway, it is part of the general plan to totally restore the car which is
about 75 % done now.

Opinions on either an Apple rebuild or just get a whole new set?  The
catalogs say that  the rebuilt carbs are never as good as new.  Any comments?

Bruce Durgin
64 B