Re: Alternative carburators to the SU?

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Alternative carburators to the SU?
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is2.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:44:48 -0300 (ADT)
> Caveat: I'm a Spridget guy, not a B guy.  BUT... the HIF carbs are
> quite a step up from HS carbs.  If it was me, I'd keep them and see
> how they do on the car before considering different carbs.  If you
> plan to work the head, put in freeflow exhaust, hot cams, then also
> invest in better air filters (K&N).  Then, I'd get it dyno'd when it's
> all done.  All of that is probably money better spent than switching
> to Webers.

My HIF's are in good shape (I don't know about the suitability of the
needles, however), but have been trying to get ported (carb) vacuum, so
have rebuilt a set of HS4's (1965-7 'B) .  I tried them on my 'B (with a
leaky jet to fuel bowl connection) and the ported vacuum advance made all
the difference.  I would like to stick to the HIF's (excellent throttle
bushings; the hs4 has some looseness) if I could only add ported vacuum.
Has anyone heard of this being done?  Is it possible?

Cheers!
   / ______/        |   |  Greg Johnson      * See the British Automobile
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.            Touring Assoc. of NS
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dal. University                     Home Page!*
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/      www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/BATANS/