Re: Flushing Steering Rack

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Flushing Steering Rack
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:23:20 -0500
>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:28:58 -0700
>From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
>Subject: Flushing Steering Rack
>
>Hello All,
>  I got under my "new" '76 B yesterday. I call him "Merlin."
>  The steering rack gaiters are both torn. (The car WAS basically free).
>  Sand is sticking to the beautifully greased protruding ends of my rack.
>  What should I flush the rack out with, and how?
>  Any help much appreciated.
>
> -Vince
>San Antonio
>2 MG's now. I am as happy as if I was in my right mind.

I hate to say it but, after having gone through this several times, you're
best bet to save the rack is to tear it down. Once grit gets into the ball
joints it can wreak havoc, and those babies are NOT REPLACEABLE. I know
they're meant to be and the shop manual says get new ones, but NOBODY I
know of sells them. I've just ordered my second new entire rack because of
that. The one on the prim now is parts from four donor racks and it still
doesn't work right.

If you do tear it down be sure to treat the shims under the pinion cover
with kid gloves. They are very thin and very fragile and they are the key
to adjusting the play in the main rack unit. Once you're done fill the unit
with engine oil and drive on.
No one in Tuna knows what I do for a livivng.

Glenn Schnittke                    I'm cured. Leave me alone.
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
schnittke@mindspring.com