Re: Seat reconstruction

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: Re: Seat reconstruction
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:31:31 -0500
At 11:28 AM 6/19/97 -0300, you wrote:
>I have recently purchased two new bottom seat foams and diaphragms for my
>1980 LE.  The existing seats did not accommodate our butts in the comfort
>they are used to.
>
>Does anyone have any advice (or provide a URL) on how to remove the
>covers, install the foams and diaphragms and reinstall the covers.  What
>pitfalls should I watch for, is there a set order for proceding, are there
>any special tools or materials needed, is adhesive needed, etc
>
>Thanks for the input.

Preston-

>From your post - it sounds like you want to reuse the existing upholstery.

I just replaced my upholstery on my '73 - and opted to stay with the
existing foams (mainly because I was afraid to be seated any higher where I
would be looking through the sunvisor!).

Anyway - normal installation of the upholstery requires the use of adhesive
to get the panels to conform to the foam contour.  The seat foams basically
have a flat center section with "wings" on each side.  Without some adhesive
at the transitions - the center section would lift up from the foam.  I was
fortunate in that my seats were all original - so I had the benefit of
seeing how the factory did it.  The only other place there was adhesive was
on the back of the seat back where it wrapped around the bottom channel -
there was cement there (and 4 clips).

If your intention is to keep the upholstery intact - you will have to
carefully reach up inside the front of the seat back and separate the
upholstery from the foam.  I did this, but my aim was to preserve the foam,
not the upholstery.  In several instances - some of the foam padding sewn
into the upholstery tore loose as it was very brittle. The seat bottom is
easier as you can pull the sides up and see what you are doing.

If you want - I'll fax you the instructions that came with the upholstery -
just e-mail me your fax #.

Regards,

Rich Mason
'73 MGB