product liability

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: product liability
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 02:59:12 +0000
Here's a little story to renew your faith in trial lawyers--yeah,
right.
        I flew into a little airport in Jackson, MS last week, and asked the
attendant at the FBO about buying 100 octane low-lead for use in my
car.  I'm thinking about what to do with the engine when the next
rebuild came around, and wanted to know how available high-octane gas
was if I decided to up the compression ratio beyond what 93 octane
pump gas would handle.
        Anyway, she said that Chevron would no longer sell aviation gas
except to pump it directly into the plane because a few years back,
somebody did just what I was looking into, took the car out racing
on city streets, wrecked it, and was seriously injured.  Guess who
got sued?  That's right, Chevron.  Never mind the fact that the gas
used was only a minor factor in the accident, one j**k-off has ruined
it for the rest of the world.
        Just when you think the world's already insane, someone has to push
the envelope.  It's a wonder companies still sell performance
equipment for any cars...  If I ever market a performance product,
I'll tout it as a "cosmetic upgrade", and put the performance data
in a chart at the bottom of the ad.
Scott