Re: Webers and sparkplugs

To: pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu
Subject: Re: Webers and sparkplugs
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Thomas James Pokrefke!!!

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu wrote:

> I also opened up the gap on my Bosch Platinums from .025 to .045

Did you use a flat feeler gauge, a wire feeler gauge, or the Bosch
feeler gauge??  The Bosch centre electrode is recessed into the
insulator, and the gap CANNOT be reliably set using standard plug gap
tools...

I DON'T have the proper gap setting tool for my Bosch plugs ('73 B), so
I use the empirical approach; I open up the gap until the engine
misfires UNDER LOAD AT SPEED, and then close the gap app 0.005" to
0.010".  This was done last year about this time, app 12,000 miles ago.

> The car run fine for two days, until this morning when I was leaving for
>school.  I

Warning: Any platinum plug will not tolerate any amount, or form, of
lead.  It destroys the catalytic function of the platinum.  Do not buy
cheap, off brand gas.  Stick to the brands that have passed the (bmw)
50,000 mile injector test, and your plugs will live, and prosper!

BTW, gas test brand ratings listed in Consumer's Union Reports.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who's son's '71 GT just failed AirCare)