Re: distributor dog alignment

To: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Subject: Re: distributor dog alignment
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 08:58:24 -0700
At 12:10 AM 6/24/97 -0600, you wrote:

>  problem:
>>had to re-route the wires to the cap in order for rotor placement to be
>>at the first cylinder.  one is now where four was, three where two, four
>>where one, and two where three.  does the drive dog only go in one way,
>>or should i be able to turn the rotor 180deg. to put "one" back where it
>>originally was?
>
>Robert when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke the rotor
>should point to the #1 cylinder.  The dizzy drive tang is slightly off
>center and cannot be installed 180' off.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Larry Hoy
>1969 MGB Roadster
>1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas

I disagree. I purchased a new Lucas distributor a couple of years ago. I
noticed that when I replaced the high-tension wires with a new set made for
the car (MGB) that the #1 wire was too short. I realized after analyzing
the situation that when my #1 piston was at TDC the rotor in the
distributor was at the 7 o'clock position (180 degrees from where it should
be). Now, either the engine had been rebuilt with the drive dog 180 degrees
off or the distributor dog is 180 degrees off. But, that is the situation.
The easiest fix was to take the distributor and CAREFULLY engage the drive
dog in a bench vice. Take an appropriate sized drift and hammer out the
spring pin holding the dog in place just enough to disengage the dog. Turn
the dog around (180 degrees), line up the holes and hammer the spring pin
back in place. This took me about 1/2 hour. Now, when my #1 piston is at
TDC, the rotor on my distributor is at the 2 o'clock position (or pointing
towards the #1 piston).

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw