Re: T series worn axle splines

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: T series worn axle splines
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:46:34 -0700
>To: pplusb@northlink.com
>From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
>Subject: Re: T series worn axle splines
>
>At 10:01 PM 6/23/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>Have had the same problem on my b rdstr, and the same financial
>>situation.  I do have the eared knock-offs, not the eared, but what I
>>did was whack the s--t out of them with all my strength.  Managed to
>>drive, race, etc. for 15 months without problems, slippage, etc.
>>I mean, my problem was so bad that I couldn't accelerate strongly
>>without the splines slipping!!

Sorry to bomb the list but I couldn't get this through to Bill privately....

Bill,

I think we're talking about different splines here.  While my hub splines
are not as good as new, they're not the problem I was referring to.

My problem is the splines where the half shaft joins the rear wheel bearing
carrier, it's supposed to be a 10 ton press fit but is currently kind of
sloppy.  This allows the oil in the rear end to seep through this spline fit
and into the hub where it is efficiently thrown on to back plate and the
brake drums.  I've received lots of good suggestions for a cheap fix and I
find I have some of the materials required for a "temporary" fix on hand.

Thanks for the input....

 Cheers,

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT