Re: MG seat belts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG seat belts
From: "Lishego, Michael" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:47:06 EST
Date sent:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:10:13 -0700
From:           Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
To:             mgs@autox.team.net
Send reply to:  Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>

Bill Eastman wrote:
> Concerning three point harnesses on LBC's.  My autocross club specifically
> FORBIDS the use of three or four point harnesses with an open car unless
> the car is equipped with a roll bar.  I assume that the reasoning is that
> you would want your body to flop to one side in event of a rollover..
>
> Something to think about..

One of the Midgets I was pulling parts off of, in my latest junkyard
excursion, had rolled. The steering wheel was dented as a result, it
was shaped like the letter "D". Ouch.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

I was told by an old MG mechanic that the shoulder belt system that
was required in the US was not well liked by BL.  The engineers
assumed that in a roll-over, the driver would duck, whereas a
shoulder belt would prohibit ducking.  I can only guess that the
introduction of seats with headrests also had something to do with
this...
~Mike