Cracked Exhaust Manifold 1975 Midget

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Cracked Exhaust Manifold 1975 Midget
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:11:14 -0400
Hi Folks,
Well I've finally got the exhaust manifold out and wondering what to do
about it.

It has a vertical 4" hairline crack running up the center pipe, to the le=
ft
of center.  When I turned it over, it has another 4"crack, up the other
side.

Could I ask you for advice on these options:

1.  Put in back in and pretend the cracks are not there.
WD 40 will leak through both of these cracks so I suppose exhaust gas
will too.  Unless it miraculously seals itself with the heat.  Yeah, righ=
t.
I'm thinking this is responsible for no throttle response I get sometimes=
=2E
(Vapor lock?)

2.  A local machine shop said they would weld it for "about $20" =

3.  Get a good used one.  (Anyone got one for sale?)

4.  Get new one from VB for $110

5.  Get a header.  This sounds like more fun but the carbon-based
wife unit would hit me over the head with it when we get the bill.

Now the manifolds are out, is there anything useful I could do in the
engine department while I'm waiting?

Thanks,   Adrian          1970 and 1975 MG Midgets
adrianjones@compuserve.com