Insurance

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Insurance
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:21:23 +0000

> Yo chaps!
<<SNIP>>

> The important thing with ANY insurance company is to have
> DOCUMENTATION......PICTURES....etc.
>
> A good working relationship with the adjuster also helps!
>
> Cheers!
>
> rick ingram

Rick,
        Absolutely correct about the documentation.  When my wife's car ws
broken into a month or so back, about $2300 of stereo equipment was
stolen.  State Farm had never seen the parts actually installed in
the Honda, but I had pictures from when it was installed in my old
Jetta.  Also, they told me that they would take the model numbers and
give it to one of their "Car stereo adjusters", and let him work up
the price.  Well, most of the items are no longer manufactured, since
stereo companies update models more often than computer companies, so
I went to three shops and asked them to work up a quote for similar
equipment.  I'm glad I did, because the adjuster had never heard of
two or three of the more esoteric pieces, and had no clue what a
currently-available equivalent was!  So they ended up taking the
middle-priced of my three quotes and cutting me a very fair check.
The moral is, if your claim involves anything rare, custom, or no
longer being produced, GET YOUR OWN QUOTES from someone intimately
familiar with the items in question.  Tell most adjusters that your
car had a sidedraft Weber on it, and they'll ask you what a barbeque
grille was doing in your car!
Scott