Re: White cars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: White cars
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 06:09:29 -0500 (CDT)
You wrote:

>> I've had four white cars (3 lbc, 1 truck) and ALL of them were
totaled when
>> some driver who claimed " I never saw you!" plowed into me.  In
three cases
>> I was stopped at a light or intersection. I
>>    ___        \______                Ross MacPherson
>>   / __ \ __ /       /------|)        arm@unix.infoserve.net
>> /  (___)---------/ (___)     Vancouver, BC, Canada
>>  1947 MG-TC 3528             1966 MGB-GT
>>
>Ross,
>       This may be another case where studies and real-life don't line
up.
>the DOT or some other such governing body did a study about ten years
>ago and concluded that white was the safest "normal" colour.  (Yellow
>was actually considered a little bit safer, but wasn't considered a
>'common' colour then, I guess).
>       Or perhaps you've just had a run of bum luck..
>Scott

My experiences with white are not all that good either:
Had a white Fiat Spyder that was struck in the left rear while I was
stopped at a stop sign at night and two weeks after that it was totaled
while parked in front of my house at 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

One of my project cars (76 MGB) is white and has had the entire rear
left quarter panels replaced from the driver's door to the right rear
quarter seam.

Then there was my white 63 Galaxie (20+ years ago), I'm still trying to
figure out how that telephone pole could not have seen a car this size
before stepping out in front of it.

Yellow? I believe DOT said "lemons" are least like to to be involved in
accidents.

Safety Fast, David Deutsch