FW: No start, Alternator?

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: No start, Alternator?
From: "Wade Shanley" <Wadesh@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 97 01:02:30 UT
Well MGers... Bill wins the prize.  I think (hope) I found the problem.

As it turns out, one of my batteries was not seated all the way down in the
compartment.  I guess over time it tilted forward and the positive terminal
grounded out on the battery cover.  I only discovered this because I was
working on it last night and I left the cover off.  When I came out to work on
it some more tonight, I turned the key and it fired right up.

Before I get excited, would grounding one of the positive terminals on the
battery cover cause the batteries to act as if they are completely dead?  I
know better than to jump to conclusions so I want to get some confirmation
from the list.