Re: Setting carburetor floats

To: jape@email.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Setting carburetor floats
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:30:23 EDT
On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 07:57:21 -0400 (EDT) John Middlesworth
<jape@email.unc.edu> writes:
>As I'm trying to set the float level on my SU HIF carbs, I'm not
>really
>sure if (carberator inverted) I should just let gravity hold the
>needle in
>the seat or if I should push down on the little spring mechanism
>within
>the needle itself and then take the measurement.

John....

As when setting any type of SU float height, you should simply allow the
weight of the float to sit on the needle. Do not depress the spring in
the needle (note: not all needles have springs in them, anyway).

The Haynes book is somewhat confusing about where to read the height of
the float on an HIF carb. The float has a "big" and a "little" end, with
a curved "dip" between them. The correct method is to run a straight edge
across the metal base of the carb, over the "dip", gently adjusting the
tang that sits on the needle until there is a 40 thousandths gap between
the float and the straight edge at the "dip".

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
"SU Carb Rebuilders to the Stars"