Re: CKGRRRING ??? !!!

To: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Subject: Re: CKGRRRING ??? !!!
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 17:43:46 -0500
Bob De Weese wrote:

> Recently it's been getting dificult to get the B into reverse.  Now I'm
> having a hardtime getting it into first.  I noticed that there is a LOT
> of free movenent of the clutch peddle, leaving only an inch or two of
> "beef" at the most.
>
> Looking at the Haynes manual I can't seem to find any kind of adjustment
> for the peddle to take up the slack, so I'm assuming that it's got
> something to do with hydraulic fluid.  (Would that be a valid
> assumption?)

Yes, that could be the problem.  If the fluid is low, you may have
gotten air in the lines.  it could also mean that the master and/or
slave needs to be rebuilt.  It could also mean that the slave actuating
rod is worn where it connects to the throwout lever arm.  If the hole is
egg-shaped and the pin is worn, you'll get lots less clutch action.
Could also be a worn clutch plate and release bearing.

> >From the picture it looks like the master cyl is up under the dash(?).
> (I haven't crawed under there yet.)  This might be a stupid question,
> but how do I get fluid into reservoir.  (I know, through the cap!)  Is
> there really enough room under there to get a bottle of brake fluid (?)
> up under there to fill the master cyl?

Don't crawl up under the dash - the master cyl is under the bonnet.
Mounted on the rear side of the pedal box, up near the firewall.  There
is a cap there, btw!

--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)