Re: Automobile future, was FW: 2022

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Automobile future, was FW: 2022
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:26:02 -0500
Bad typing and unfounded comments below...

At 12:52 PM 6/30/97 -0700, EMILY COWEN wrote:
>Hi Q!!
>
>On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:
>
>> I don't remember the research team who was developing it, but it was
>> designed to replace or get rid of the old thoughts that people tend to have
>> about the idea of what an eleectric car would be like.
>
>If this is the same car that came up from Texas to B.C., it's a
>R&D/stock market scam.  It's power train is optimised for performance,
>and is totally impractical for day to day use.  God help you if you need
>the wipers, or heater fan motor.

I don't think this was the same one, however, A bit impracticle for driving
on the regular roads.  Super stopping power, Super accelleration, super
cornering.  If you drove like this thing was built for on the streets, you
cause wrecks and drive up tail pipes.

As with most if not all electric cars, batteries weight, size and longevity
and rejuvenation has always been a problem.  This car was no exception.
Although they did have advancements in that department.

>> Quite impressive indeed.
>
>Always crunch the numbers, if it looks too good to be true, it
>undoubtedly is.  In this case, the numbers didn't add up; that's when
>the developers admitted that the car depended on the new "miracle"
>batteries being developed as they spoke.

This thing wasn't for sale.  Still in a alpha/beta phase.  Mega bucks just
for the one they were demo'ing and putting through it paces for a sneak
peek at whats coming down the road n the future of electric cars.  Trying
to grab youth interests I think.

I think it was built to make people say "Ooh!"  and "Wow!"  I don't think
that a production model for the streets was their intention.  I think it
was to dispell old wives tales.

>> >  Now THAT'S scary.......btw will guys be standing around telling the
>> >owner "your car has a great sounding HUM?
>
>Maybe it'll sound like our mass transit "SkyTrain", like something out
>of Star Treck...  linear propulsion motors, rather than rotary.  Weird
>noises from it.

Maybe no sound at all.  The only pollution control they may harp on then
will be noise.  Seen as our LBC's may be outlawed for being a gas burner!  :)

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net