Re: Our Cars Being Shipped Off? What?

To: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Our Cars Being Shipped Off? What?
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 15:02:13 -0500
Comments comments comments...

At 02:23 PM 7/2/97 -0400, Kai  Radicke wrote:
>> I picked up on a thread yesterday, that reminded me of other threads in
>the
>> recent past.  It was something to the effect of our cars are being bought
>> and shipped back oversees?
>
>Not Oversees, but to outer space...the space probe that will land on Mars
>on July 4th has a Lucas electrical system, it is sure to fail.

:)\

>> Less and less of them for sale and being seen on the mean streets.
>
>Quite untrue...but compared to 30 years ago when all of the LBCs were new
>this is true.  Yes there are less, and less DRIVEN than 30 years ago, but
>MOST still remain.

In the summer, there does seem to be an invasion.  I was jsut curous george
about some Brit car smuggeling operation swiping our cars.

|;-)

>> Where is the demand?  Why is there a demand for these LH car's
?  How much
>> are they paying for these cars?  What kind of condition are they
>aquireing
>> these cars?  What are the most popular ones?  Who is he buyer and
>exporter?
>
>The Demand...because our British friends are car hogs, (mommy he won't give
>me the LBC).  2/3-3/4 of all LBCs were shipped to the uS.  So the UK didn't
>get that many, now they want to steal them all.  And the demand for LH cars
>is simple, in the UK they can't drive LH so they only have RH cars, thus
>they buy LH and convert them to RH (stupid morons).
>
>They pay about $500+ (depending on model, make) more for the car but then
>pay another 1500-2000 for shipping over to the UK.  As far as condition,
>they usually buy either decent fix-er-upers, or total restoration jobs
>(cheaper to convert than an already concours car).
>
>The most popular cars (as I see) would be the TR6, TR250 (TR5 in the UK),
>MGAs, all Healeys, T series MG, and not to many MGB, Midget, but I have
>started to see lots of parts go to the UK for MGC cars.  Apparently the
>Brits will pay anything for the aluminum hood of an MGC...like $700 for a
>great used original (they cost $500 for repro aluminum).

Hard up for em I guess.  You'd think that tehy could repro a bunch of parts
and they could build them from ordering for a catalog.

Get a car sent to you via teh mail in a 1500 pieces.

>> I remember the same thing happened to the VW Van known as the Micro-Bus.
>> It was unique in the way that it had windows like an airliner on the top
>> edge of the roof on both sides.  I've only seen one in my life, and it's
>> parked down off lower Greenville Ave. Very rare and most went right back
>> Germany.
>
>MicroBuses are very cool, there are a ton in lower PA; and you only have
>seen 1?
>Well of course we have a VW restoration, parts house located about 2 miles
>away, and he does one hell of a business (there are only 25.6 million Bugs
>in the world).

I read ina bug mag about hte rareity and notice I never have sen them.  I
keep my eyes open and have only found one.  Kinda neat too.  Wouldn't mind
having one, but the wife may feel differently.

--
Jay Quinn       Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net   Pager: 972.319.7611