Re: An MG question for those with electrical smarts

To: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Subject: Re: An MG question for those with electrical smarts
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 00:36:22 -0600 (MDT)
>This was forwarded to me and I don't know the answer. "a little help
>here" Safety Fast, David " seem the older I get the more I don't know"
>Deutsch
>
>You wrote:
>>
>>How many amps drawdown should there be on a 76MGB with all loads
>removed
>>exc
>>ept  the alternator and starter connectuions? I'm getting 18 m/ amps
>and
>>this seems like a whole bunch.

18 milliampers (also 18 ma or .018 amp) is not particularly high. Modern
cars with all their computers that are never completely turned off run
about this much standby current. Of course our old MGs leave nothing
electrical running with the ignition off, and should measure almost
0 ma.

But, I wouldn't worry about your 18 ma. It would only have a
significant affect under long term storage (like over winter). The self
discharge rate of the battery itself is probably not that much lower.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
52 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 19 months and counting