Re: MG Cooling System, was asinine threads

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Cooling System, was asinine threads
From: hstaton@ilnk.com (Sam Staton)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 13:38:20 -0400
At 10:05 AM 7/5/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I am not sorry for asking that the non lbc-related threads be carried on
>elsewhere, or at least terminated within a few posts.  Now, as I don my
>asbestos shorts, I've created a thread that shouldn't be here either, so I
>appologize to the list for that as well.
>
>So.... in the spirit of cooling things off here, I'll ask an LBC-related
>question about MGB cooling systems and hopefully turn things around.
>
>Randy Johnson had a great suggestion about re-coring a radiator with a
>thicker core and more tubes per inch.  Has anyone else tried this?  Are
>there aftermarket radiators I can retrofit to increase cooling capability?
>The car is a '67 BGT (and I'd eventually like to do this on my '69 B).
>Would a later-type '78 on radiator be an improvement and is fitting these
>simple or difficult?  Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy "Fire brewed, double hopped, beachwood aged, no high horse" Ramm  ;>

Andy -
        As one of the participants in the recent thread you seem to despise so
much, apology accepted with open arms.

LBC content - while I haven't done it in my MG, recoring is a very viable
way to improve cooling. I had it done in my '64 Impala SS when I upgraded
the engine to a 350, and it made a great improvement. The next time I do
radiator work on it, I'll probably go to a 4-row (it has a 3-row now, and
stock was 2-row). Contact a reputable radiator shop where you live and
inquire as to the availability. I am sure that one is available. In fact, I
seem to remember that Moss advertises one. There will be only one precision
tool required - your checkbook.

Sam Staton
'73 B Rdstr 'Maggie'