Re: Sill replacement with Oxy-Acet, techniques?

To: "Larry J. Dickstein" <bugide@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Sill replacement with Oxy-Acet, techniques?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 23:34:50 -0400
Larry J. Dickstein wrote:
> a.  If you do outer rockers, you should count on doing the inners, as
> well.  Might as well do them as long as the whole thing is apart.  It
> works best to have them there instead of having to wait through a long
> weekend, or longer, to finish your project.

  I suppose. Doubly true here in Canada, where ordering parts takes
longer.

  I will prepare for the worst, but I might be alright on the
inner sill. The outer one isn't really rotted through and needs
to be changed for structural reasons, it just needs to be changed
if I want it back to smooth again.

> b.  Oxy acetylene will work fine if you are patient and have some skill
> in that area.  What you are proposing is doable but is a little higher in
> the scale than wire welding for the average enthusiast.

  What sort of amperage MIG welder would do this job well? I
should probably just buy one. I see a big price break
between 80A and 130A machines, is 80A enough for such jobs?

  Also another MIG question, all these baby MIGs plug into
common outlets which seems great, but can I use them on normal
circuits or do I need a special high amperage circuit?

  Sounds like MIG is the way to go. Purchasing advice welcome.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada