Re: Sill replacement with Oxy-Acet, techniques?

To: bugide@juno.com
Subject: Re: Sill replacement with Oxy-Acet, techniques?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 15:09:48 EDT
On Sun, 06 Jul 1997 10:16:06 EDT bugide@juno.com (Larry J. Dickstein)
writes:
>Two things:
SNIP
b.  Oxy acetylene will work fine if you are patient and have some
>skill in that area.  What you are proposing is doable but is a little
>higher in the scale than wire welding for the average enthusiast.  The
>best, an cheapest, material is a plain coat hanger.  Before the
>comments flood me, I  mean the wire kind and not the plastic,
>cardboard, or wooden kinds.
While wire coathangers are the cheapest material for gas welding, they
are not the best.  Most coat hangers are of an inferior grade of steel
and most are coated and/or painted.  Both conditions add to contaminents
in the weld.  When welding structural components(ie. sills, etc), the
weldment should be as pure as possible for maximum strength.  Save the
coathangers for non-critical applications, and spring for a pack of good
gas rods from the welders supply.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget