MGA cc

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA cc
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 97 22:39:36 PDT
Here we are with a fresh screen.

Don't all laugh at once, but here is how I measured the combustion chambers
on Sunday when the burrette store was closed. (A good source for
inexpensive burrettes, glass or plastic, is Carolina Biological Supply  800
334.5551).

I made a quick paper pattern of the combustion chamber and traced it onto a
blank of 4mm acrylic (Plexiglass, Perspex). In the center of the acrylic
blank I drilled and countersunk a 3/16" hole.  After cutting out the
acrylic, oversize, of course, I laid a thin bead of good quality clear
silicone caulk around the outside edge of the chamber. It doesn't take
much, but it must be continuous. I stuck the acrylic on the face of the
head, weighted it down and let it cure for 5 or 10 minutes. I leveled the
head with wooden shims atop the workbench.

I had a needleless 35 cc syringe (you can get these from a veterinary
supply, they're great for injecting glue, etc. into things) and filled it
with Marvel Mystery Oil. Hey, it's fairly thin and it is red after all. I
dripped it in through the countersunk hole until it was full. I had to stop
once and refill, but I ended up getting about 36.5 cc into the thing. This
method worked great, but if I was going to do much of this I believe I
would opt for the burrette.

Upon completion, I pried off the acrylic and peeled the silicone off. If
you try this make sure you clean any excess silicone out of water passages
and etc.

Regards,

David F. Darby
Interior Highlands, Missouri