Re: MGA Head Work

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGA Head Work
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 97 22:39:29 PDT
Hello again,

I measured one combustion chamber at ca. 36.5 cc. Factory manual specs 43
cc for the 1622 engine. This thread is getting a little messy so will post
a separate note on my methodology immediately after this one.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. I will continue to follow
up on this, but am signing off of the list tomorrow (Monday) night as I
must travel to Minnesota for a week. After that I am hoping to go to NAMGAR
GT in Grapevine, but I won't have time to put the car back together so will
go sans MG. Anyone who likes can email me directly and I will catch up with
you later.

More follows:
----------

> >> Perhaps ... your 1588 was overbored to 3" and fitted with a set of
> >> HC 1622 pistons and rods.
> >
> > That's what I first thought until I removed the carbon buildup. The
> > pistons are clearly stamped "+.030", Made in England," but no mfr
> > name. I'm familiar with  the piston configurations and these are
> > definitely flat.
>
> Hmmm ... could be your 1588 is overbored +.062 and fitted with 1622
> +.030 pistons/rods.  Is the bore 2.998" or 3.030"?

The bore measures 3.001" +or-

> Took a look at the BMC "MGA 1500 and 1600 Special Tuning" booklet
> ... as you are probably aware, BMC did offer 'flat-top' pistons for the
> 1588 (BMC Part No. C-12H-173), but they required the use of the Twin-
> Cam rods (BMC Part No.s C-AEH-642 and C-AEH-644).
>
> According to "Tuning BMC Sports Cars", the BMC Special Tuning pistons
> rods are no longer available (th book was printed in 1970), but Hepolite
did
> make a piston with a 3.8cc dish (Hepolite Part No. 14986), in lieu of the
> stock 7.75cc dish, and a 'flat-top' piston (Hepolite Part No. 15059) for
use
> with the stock 1588 rods ... perhaps you have the later.

There is a No. stamped on the piston head, this is from memory, but I
believe it is 15755.

> >> The rule of thumb is that removal of .010" equates to a 1cc reduction
in
> >> the combustion chamber capacity, but the chambers have been modified
> >> so your right ... you will have to cc the chambers to determine what ya
> >> have.
> >>
> >> Assuming a 3" bore with 'flat-tops' ... my WAG is that 37.5cc equates
to a
> >> 10:1 CR ... 35.5 is a 10.5:1 CR.
> >
> > I am jury-rigging a measuring setup now. If it works, I will describe it
> > later.

See next post: MGA cc

> Anxious to hear your findings ...

> >> Seems a bit radical ... did you have problems with pinging/detonation
> >> prior to the valve work?  If not, there are several of us that would
love
> >> know the size the combustion chambers.  ;^)
> >
> > A slight ping was sometimes present, pulling a long hill in top gear at
> > WOT, e.g.
>
> With 92 Octane fuel?

Yup.

> Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com