Re: Sprite Timing

To: SMitch1441@AOL.com
Subject: Re: Sprite Timing
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 11:20:32 EDT
On Sat, 5 Jul 1997 01:53:05 -0400 (EDT) SMitch1441@aol.com writes:
>I have a 1963 Sprite MkII with a 1098cc engine.  The engine was
>completely
>overhauled only 2000 miles ago.  I am trying to time the engine
>stroboscopically rather than using the "static timing technique".
>According
>to my Haynes manual the timing for this engine is 8 degrees BTDC at
>600 rpm.
> The problem is I can't get the engine to idle that slow in order to
>set the
>timing.  The engine doesn't idel smoothly and stalls at this rpm.  I
>have
>already adjusted the dwell angle on the distributor to 60 degrees
>which is
>the spec according to Haynes.
>
>Can anyone tell me what the timing might be at a higher rpm; say even
>idle of
>1000 rpm.  I realize that the centrifugal advance will be encountered
>at this
>higher rpm.  I used the static method to get the timing in the ball
>park but
>the timing still appears to be slightly advanced.

  The static timing method was used because the engines wouldn't
generally idle slow enough so that the centrifugal weights would not
start to work. What one can do to time with a strobe, though, is to
calculate the distributor's total advance. It's usually given in the book
somewhere. Add that advance to the static advance, say 30 total plus 5
static = 35.  Measure the crank pulley, calculate the circumference in
inches/mm.  Knowing the total advance, change the degrees of advance into
inches/mm. Measuring from the TDC notch, mark the point of total advance
on the pulley.  Start up the engine; adjust with the strobe so that your
mark is at the pointer at  3500 RPM or so, when you know the distributor
is at its maximum advance.
Bob Howard