Re: SU questions

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU questions
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 17:41:23
At 11:27 PM 7/6/97 EDT, robert williford wrote:
>73 mgb--has hif4 carbs.  the emissions equipment was removed long before
>i purchased the car.  unless i'm mistaken (which could easily be the
>case), the hif4 carbs are vented.  at any rate, the fuel line runs to
>the front carb, another fuel line connects the two carbs.  there is a
>low-pressure (vacuum??)line positioned just behind the fuel inlet on the
>front carb, and an identical line (though not behind a fuel fitting) on
>the rear carb.  these two hoses have been connected with a T fitting,
>the third branch connecting to some oddly designed AC filter that seems
>to be some sort of air intake(??), with the inlet side plugged and the
>two hoses from the carbs (connected by the T fitting) screwed into the
>outlet side.  whew.  confusing enough?  i could draw the setup easier
>than describe it.
>
>my problem is, this morning when i cranked the 'b, fuel came pouring
>out of the rear vent(??) line, through the strange AC filter-thing,
>and all over my carport.  does anyone have any idea why this would
>happen, what the hell kind of setup the PO was running, and suggestions
>on how to properly set up these carbs without the original emissions
>equipment?
>
>i have consulted the mgb haynes manual, and meditated on the situation
>all day.  i even left a few quarters in the ashtray to try to appease
>whatever spirit oversees these little cars, but i am at a loss.  please
>help--the weather has been too nice for the b to sit under the carport.
>

>thanks in advance, and sorry for the jumbled first paragraph...
>robert williford
>73 MGB (running quite well until this morning's setback)
>
>"Words strain, Crack and sometimes break, under the burden, Under the
> tension, slip, slide, perish, Decay with imprecision, will not stay in
> place, will not stay still."  ts eliot, "burnt norton V"
>(sorry, had to throw in my literary two cents worth to make up for the
> horrible first paragraph...)

Robert,

For starters when I had a problem with fuel running out of a carburater
like you describe the fault was the float was stuck.  Bottom line was it
needed to be replaced.  It had a pin hole in it and no longer floated!!
Any way you can try gently taping on the base of the carb and see if that
loosens the float if not you are probably looking at a rebuild.

The other issue...Do you have a  Moss catalogue handy?  Look in Moss on
page 22.  There is a diagram in the lower left corner of the page.  I do
believe you are refering to what appears to be a piece of metal tubiung
that extends from the front carb towards the rear and is connected to a T
connector with tubbing off the rear carb.  The hose that leads off of this
should attach to the carbon canister see page 23 of Moss.  I too have a b
without smnog equipment installed, the engine runs just fine.  Unless
someone on the list disagrees I would just remove this filter contraption
that the PO installed.  If you have a VB catalog there really isn't a
similare diagram to use.

Good luck

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca