Re: Painting

To: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: Painting
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 18:53:15 -0500
At 06:19 PM 7/7/97 -0400, Arthur Pfenninger wrote:

>       Strange but I won't argue, how fast did it dry? Lacquer will dry
>in 5 minutes or less. Your point was well taken $50 sure beats $500.
>Another place to avoid is Maco. A good paint job will start at $1000. Any
>thing else you'll probably regret.
>...Art

Funny this should come up.  There was a thread on the rec.autos.tech
newsgroup about Maaco and other low dollar paint shops.  It seems that many
agreed that you can actually get quite nice results from these shops if you
spend the time to prep the car properly.  For the MGB, consider removing
all chrome, and lighting and bumpers as well as the top and windshield if
possible.  Do the bondo work and priming, and essentially bring the car to
them, ready for a simple cleaning and then a paint job.

After you get the car back, just start working on the car; wet sanding,
buffing, polishing.  Consider how much time you would spend working on a
car performing prep work, as well as time spent buffing and polishing, and
realize that each hour of your time might be worth, oh, say, $25/hour
conservatively.  The consider the cost of the paint job: maybe $200.  I
think this would not be a bad avenue to explore, certainly not for the
concours restoration, but more likely for the daily driver.

Any comments???

Jay