Re: Painting

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:16:11 -0700

>Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:23:58 -0400 (EDT)

>From: Arthur Pfenninger <<ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>

>Subject: Re: Painting

>Before sanding you should use Prep-Sol solvent made by DuPont.If you can't

>find this brand check with an auto paint store. This step is important to

>make sure all the wax and silicone is off the part. Don't expect too good

>of a paint job by using a spray can. I would recommend doing the whole car

>at once. The only paint for a first time painter to use is lacquer. Don't

>even think about enamel. A quart of primer and maximum of two quarts of

>paint will do the car. After the car is rubbed out it will look like it

>came off the show room floor. You should be able to do the whole car for

>about $120. Compare that to the cost of a professional job and with the

>money you save you will be able to buy a compressor and gun and still have

>money left over. If you decide to do the job use a HVLP gun. If needed I

>can give you more details on what to buy and how to do the job. Even

>if you decide to only do the lid stick with lacquer it is almost

>impossible not to get good results.

>...Art

Art,

   I read your post to Preston on the above subject and like Preston, I am
keenly interested

in a detailed process for repainting. This is an area of the restoration
process that I am

afraid to tackle, mostly because of lack of knowledge and what appears to be a
wide choice

of products to choose from, each with it's unique process?  I hear about the
EXTREME health

hazards and the need for breathing apparatus and this puts me off totally!

I would like to try my hand at painting, but am not sure how to proceed. I am
at a resto stage

now where I am almost complete with block sanding and ready to get some paint
on the shell.

I would like to buy a HVLP paint gun but don't know what would be a good one to
buy. Perhaps you could advise me. Please give me and the list, your views on
the prep method, sanding grades to use

with as much detail as you feel comfortable. This may seem like a tall task and
I know it will

stimulate some dialog from others that may have more experience and some better
ideas. That's

all good help and educates those of us less knowledgeable.  If you are
uncomfortable sharing

this with the net, please post directly to me I would be most appreciative of
all of the

experience you can share in this area.  Thank's in advance. John.

John D. Bartholomew. Amdahl San Jose CA. Ususal disclaimers apply

              E-MAIL:-

</color>           408-746-6361 Voice mail      FAX 408-746-8061

1969BGT; 1972MGB; 1973MGB; 1976MGB; 1979MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver