Re: Cross-Flow Heads

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: Cross-Flow Heads
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 15:11:33 -0400
larry.g.unger@lmco.com wrote:

> > Here is my question.  What will this head do for someone running Dual
> > S.U.'s?  What about a Weber DGV?  I haven't heard much other that the
> > sales spiel.  Some dyno numbers or experience with more "common"
> > carburation options would be nice.  It's a lot of money to pony up
> > (maybe too much given the seeming lack of takers).
>
> Check out the dyno results for the DGV and SU's at Steve's Web site ...
>
> http://www.pinon.com/sportscar/
>
> Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
> '61 MGA 1600 MkII

Okay, according to Steve Darby's website, a stock B motor, with 8.0 to 1
CR, and a DGV carb will realize a nominal increase of 3 h.p. 4500
R.P.M., and about 6 h.p. at 5000 R.P.M.  This is about 6%.  I would
venture a guess that with dual S.U.'s the increase would be comparable.
Anyone have any info on the bang for the buck of a swap to a "mild" road
cam?  I am guessing that it would be comparable.  $1500 for a 6%
increase on a stock motor seems nuts.  Granted, the performance boost is
much more evident in a race prepped motor, but thats not what I am
driving!  Maybe, if I win the lottery . . .