Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (If You Follow Me)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (If You Follow Me)
From: scc@kodak.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 17:12:18 -0400

Help!  First posting.  New ?79 MGB owner.

Problem: After driving a couple of miles the car starts belching thick
blue smoke for anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds....then stops the
smoke screen routine.  Just changed oil(10W-40) & filter. Got a couple
of small oil leaks but nothing major (as far as I know). Didn?t overfil=
the crankcase. The SU carbs appeared to have the proper amount of oil
(maybe a little low but filled to 1/2" over the bottom ring).  PO took
pollution control stuff off the car.  Days were warm (for Rochester, NY=
)
at about 80 degrees. No perceived loss of power or misfiring when the
smoke appeared.

Questions:  Am I hosed & looking forward to major engine work?  Is ther=
something I can try (oil treatment, etc.)? Did I buy someone else?s
nightmare? Or is this a random MG feature that James Bond movies picked=

up on?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Be gentle, I want to go to the North
America MG show down the road in Amherst (Buffalo) July 11...with
my Buzzer.

Steve Christensen (scc@kodak.com)
?79 MGB (with Smoke Screen Accessory)

=