Re: Thanks for turning and wheel advice

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Thanks for turning and wheel advice
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:30:17 -0700
At 04:13 PM 7/9/97 -0400, you wrote:

>       Don't trust your wheels to any tire shop. The machine they use to
>turn the wheels while removing the tire will ruin the spokes. It has a
>small bar that wedges between the spokes that is actually ment to wedge
>itself into the lug nut hole.
     . . .

===Reply===
Not necessarily.  The newer machines have four opposed triangular lugs on a
turntable.  The lugs pneumatically clamp on the inside diameter of the rim
to hold it.  Then the turntable moves, and the bead lifting arm is
stationary on an arm which reaches over the tire and rim.

The older style machines use a rotating center spindle, with a very coarse
thread.  You drop the tire/rim over the spindle, put the small bar that
Arthur refers to through a lug hole, and spin a collar down the thread to
hold the tire/rim down.  Then you let the air out, put the breaker bar on
the spindle, and push a pedal, which turns the spindle and rotates the
breaker bar.  I agree, this puts intolerable strain on a wire spoke; don't
let a tire shop use this.  But the newer, turntable machines should work fine.

2 years busting tires in college.  Never want to do that again!

Mark Moburg
MarkMoburg@mindspring.com
New York, New York