Re: Voltage Stabilizer?

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: Voltage Stabilizer?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:00:39 +0100
> At 12:46 pm 10/7/97 -0400, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
> >In my continuing effort to get an "accurate" temperature gauge, somone
> >on the list suggested that my voltage stabilizer may be causing the
> >problem  I have a 77B.  Should this car have the above referenced part?
> >If so, where should I look for it?  What does it look like?  How can I
> >check it's function.  Any suggestions welcome!

Okay, okay, I'll give you my version. I believe you said you thought the
gauge was running too high? And that it was electrical?

First off, I _think_ the voltage stabalizer tries to deliver a constant
10 volts to the gauges. This gives the gauges a steady reference to go
by. I have no idea if I have one in my car, either, and where it might
be.

But if you're as cheap as me, go to Radio Shack and buy a blister pack
of resisters. Tell the clerk what you're doing and you might get
intelligent advice. Might not. Buying a couple of alligator clips won't
hurt, either. Then go home, pull the radiator cap, drop an oven
thermometer in the tank, then warm up the car.

Once your car is at 'normal' operating temperture, check your gauge. I
assume it will be reading high. Now disconnect the wire to the sender.
Use some combination of resistors (ideally only one will be needed but
several in parallel will give you some small adjustments) between the
wire and the sender. You will notice that combinations of resistors will
lower the needle reading. Pick what reading you want and then figure out
a good way to hide the resistor pack.

You can solder connectors to the resistors and wrap them in tape.
Someone smarter than me can recite Ohm's law and tell you what amount of
resistor will drop voltage what percent. And then they can tell you how
to read the bands on the resistors.

The same process will work on the gas gauge.

It ain't a 'pure' repair but it keeps you in the garage for a good long
time playing with your car.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva
"Abstinence is just another form of sexual perversion."